this article needs additional citations for verification
. (march 2013)
norfolk samphire (salicornia europaea
samphire is a name given to a number of succulent salt-tolerant plants (halophytes) that tend to be associated with water bodies.
- rock samphire, crithmum maritimum is a coastal species with white flowers that grows in the united kingdom and the isle of man. this is probably the species mentioned by shakespeare in king lear.
- golden samphire, limbarda crithmoides is a coastal species with yellow flowers that grows across eurasia.
- several species in the genus salicornia, known as "marsh samphire" in britain.
- blutaparon vermiculare, central america, southeastern north america
- tecticornia, australia
- sarcocornia, cosmopolitan.